Car Rental Lisbon
Lisbon is Portugal’s historic capital city, and is one of the most fascinating destinations in the country. When you rent a car, Lisbon is a premier location to explore, especially if you’re a history fan, or simply love soaking up some serious city atmosphere.
When you arrange for car hire, Lisbon Airport is only a short drive to the city itself, where you’ll find yourself immersed in typically Portuguese culture and history. It’s been the county’s capital city since 1255, and is located on the banks of the River Tejo; and when you explore the streets, you’ll find an abundance of historical sights to enjoy.
Be warned, the city is built on seven hills, and as a result, there are some steep ascents. However, this is where car rental Lisbon is a great idea; and it can really help prevent tired feet, especially in the heat! Car rental, Lisbon city, is a really practical way to see the whole destination and experience the best sights, without causing exhaustion.
Car Hire, Lisbon Airport to the Big City
The people of Lisbon are fiercely proud of their heritage, and rightly so! It’s a city of two ‘faces’; the one it presents during the day, and the one it presents after the sun has gone down; making it an intriguing place to explore when you rent a car, Lisbon.
It’s not worth climbing out of bed too early, because this is a typical Mediterranean city. Make like a local; rise late, then stay up to enjoy the ambiance in the night. Make sure to enjoy a traditional ‘fado’ night when you’re in the city; where you’ll see the streets fill with people, eager to celebrate the occasion.
During the day, if you rent a car, Lisbon is easy to explore. There are so many historical sights to see; in fact, we strongly recommend that you don’t try to pack your explorations into just the one day; as you’ll miss so much! Here are some highlights:
Highlights when you Rent a Car, Lisbon
It’s generally recommended that you try to stay for at least 3 days, if not more. In fact, 5-6 days is a great period of time to allow yourself, in order to really get to grips with the city, not to mention the sights just beyond the outskirts, such as Sintra, Cascais and Estoril.
Car rental Lisbon is a really great way of ensuring you get to see everything the area has to offer. When you arrange for car hire, Lisbon Airport, you’ll be able to not only get to see the city, but the surrounding countryside and other key sights.
Here are some of the unmissable attractions in the area:
- Castelo de Sao Jorge appears in almost all of guide books, and is a big favourite for tourists. Indeed, nowadays it is one of the emblems of Lisbon. When you’re there, make sure to head to the top of the castle, where you can take in views of the whole city; they are quite remarkable! Ticket prices are €7,5, but there are many discounts available for families and students etc.
- Sé Cathedral is always mentioned in the guide books. The Se Cathedral stands on one of the ancient sites of Lisbon, and is really magnificent to behold. It combines an intriguing mix of architectural styles; and has a rich, interesting history.
- Jeromos’ Cathedral. Jeromos’ Cathedral is located in the scenic Belém quarter; where you’ll also find the Belém patisserie; one of the finest in the city. Make sure you try the cake, which is named after the quarter itself.
- The Oceanario Aquarium is a great place to explore, and is easy to reach if you’ve gone for car rental, Lisbon. It’s in the modern Expo quarter, and is considered one of the finest aquariums in the continent.
- Bairro Alto and Alfama quarters are full of little streets with drying clothes. They are typical authentic quarters.
Eating in Portugal
Once you’ve arranged car hire, Lisbon Airport is only a short distance from some of the finest eateries in the city. Whilst in Lisbon, make sure you sample bacalhau, which is a local dried and salted cod dish; pastel del nata (egg tart pastry) and Arroz Doce (Portuguese sweet rice).
Coming from Outside Lisbon?
If you don’t choose car hire, Lisbon Airport; but prefer to arrive from another destination, you can easily reach the city via the Vasco da Gama Bridge; the longest bridge in Europe. Travelling across the bridge is actually an experience in itself! If you’ve yet to hire a car, don’t worry, it’s easy to rent a car in Lisbon.
Did you know that...
- Lisbon was never officially announced or approved as a capital city. It became the de facto capital under Alfonso III of Portugal, when he moved his court to Lisbon.
- According to historians Lisbon is the second oldest European capital city after Athens.
- The Belém Tower in Lisbon is a gothic fortress, which was one of the Portugal naval starting points at the Age of Discoveries. Now it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The longest bridge in Europe is the Vasco da Gama Bridge in Lisbon, which is 17,2 km long. Every year Lisbon is rated as one of the most livable cities in Portugal.
(Meeting Point: on the MEETING POINT inside Arrivals Hall close to Vodafone Shop)
Lisbon Oficce (09:00 – 20:00)
Address: Av. Marechal Gomes da Costa 21D – 1800-255 Lisboa
Phone: +351 210 988 400
Mobile Phone: +351 939 965 882
Fax: +351 210 998 514
Avenida Marechal Gomes da Costa, no 21 D, 1800 - 255 Lisboa
Tel: 210 998 400
Fax: 210 998 514
Tel: 210 998 400 / 93 996 58 81
Schedule: Monday to Friday - 09H00 to 18H00
Rua Braamcamp, no 52 A
Phone: (+351) 213 839 700
Fax.: (+351) 213 839 707
Drive on holidays
Rua 25 de Abril, n.o 14
2685-368 Prior Velho
+351 21 941 33 24
+351 21 941 33 24
38o 47' 17.20" N
09o 07' 40.50" O
Alameda das Comunidades Portuguesas
Portela de Sacavém - 1700-007 - Lisboa
Telf. +351 218 413 768
Fax. +351 218 413 767
Monday - Sunday
07:00 - 23:00
Avenida Defensores de Chaves 89, 1000-116 Lisboa, Portugal
+351 217 995 390
Central de Reservas
Tel.: 808 25 26 27
Horário de funcionamento:
De Segunda a Domingo das 8:00 as 20:00
Lisbon Airport/Shuttle Service - Car Rental
Address: Shuttle Service
GDS - Code: LIS
SIXT #: 6664
Mo. - Su. 06:00 - 24:00
Bank holiday 06:00 - 24:00
SIXT # Lisbon Airport/Shuttle Serv. LIS Shuttle Service 1700-008 Lisboa 38.770413, -9.137535 +351-218-407926 +351-218-407923
Phone no. +351-218-407926
Location plan - how to find us
Your way to Sixt: Shuttle Service
After picking up your luggage, exit the security area into the arrival hall. Please turn right and continue walking right. You can not miss us, our Meeting Point is right next to Vodafone. To secure a fast and easy rental our Sixt shuttle is frequently circulating between the Sixt branch and the airport to pick you up and drop you off.
The return of the Sixt vehicle is at our branch: Lisbon Expo, Rua do Pólo Norte, Lote 1.08.01D, Parque das Naçoes, 1990-265 Lisboa, Phone: +351 21 836 40 40. GPS: GPS: 38.773165,-9.096422 At our branch, meet one of our Sixt representives, who will quickly process your return by shuttle back to the airport.
Your way to Sixt Lisbon Expo:
- Airport Roundabout - 5th Output Parque das Naçoes - Straight forward exit 1st at your right - Parque das Naçoes - Roundabout 3rd exit - Straight forward until BP Rotunda - 2nd exit - Keep on the right, follow FIL/Moscavide - Follow up to roundabout - Exit at the 3rd exit to FIL - Enter 1st parking entrance - right
After picking up your luggage, exit the security area into the arrival hall. Please turn right and continue walking right. You can not miss us; our Meeting Point is right next to Vodafone. To secure a fast and easy rental our Sixt Shuttle is frequently circulating between the Sixt office and the airport to pick you up and drop you off.
Different address for returning vehicles
Rua do Pólo Norte Lote1.08.01D
Aeroporto De Portela Lisboa
Lisbon, 1700 008 , PT
(351) 21 8435550
Location Code: LIS
Aeroporto De Portela , Lisbon
Phone : 219426300
Fax : 210410462
Location Type : Airport Location, Licensee Location
Lisboa Olivais - Airport
Avenida Marechal Gomes da Costa, no 19
Latitude : 38.757139
Longitude : -9.107994
Phone : + 351 218 371 626
Opening hours :
Monday – Sunday From 7:30 AM to midnight
Good to know:
Please call + 351 927 049 949 - to advise of your arrival. At arrivals at Meeting Point, Customers will be welcomed by one of our staff members holding an identification placard with the INTERRENT logo and will be transferred to the nearest station (it will take about a 3 minutes drive) by one of our InterRent shuttles.
How to arrive to this InterRent Office: the following Bus Lines stop near the Station: Bus Lines no 708 and 750. You can use also the Underground Red Line, Station OLIVAIS.
Av. Severiano Falcao, No3
Phone. +351 21 010 02 10
Fax. +351 21 010 02 91
Avenida Álvares Cabral 45-B, 1269-141 Lisboa, Portugália
+351 707 272 007
Phone. +351 707 27 2007
Serviced By Europcar
Aerporto Da Portela
Lisbon, 1700 008
Tel: 218401163 *
* Calls to 0871 numbers will cost 8 pence from a BT landline, other networks and mobiles may vary. Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.
Central de Reservas
Telefone: + 351 21 940 77 90
Fax: + 351 424 51 26
Horário de funcionamento
2a-feira - 6a-feira 08:30 - 19:30
09:00 - 18:00